jueves, 26 de abril de 2007

Wulf and Eadwacer

"Wulf and Eadwacer" (960CE to 990CE?)
by Anonymous

It is to my people as if someone gave them a gift.
They will thank him if he comes in force.
It is otherwise with us.

Wulf is on an island I am on another.
Fast is that island surrounded by fens.
There are fierce men on that island.
They will thank him if he comes in force.
It is otherwise with us.

Wulf’s long wanderings suffered with hope.
When it was rainy weather and I sat forlorn.
the bold man came and held me in his arms.
That was pleasant for me and also it was loathsome.
Wulf, my Wulf my ache for you
has made me sick your seldom visits
a mourning mind hunger for nothing.
Do you hear that, Eadwacer? The wolf has taken
our cowardly whelp to the woods.
A man can easily cut to pieces what never was joined:
our song together.


Acá se puede ver el original en inglés antiguo.

Sí, una maravilla, ya lo sé. Por eso lo puse acá.
De nada.